“I didn’t see it coming.”
“I’m not the type of person who would ever think of cheating.”
A momentary decision to stray leads to years of damage for a marriage. Listen as Susie Larson looks at what it means to guard your marriage against adultery and sexual sin with pastor and counselor Dave Carder. Dave’s book is Close Calls: What Adulterers Want You to Know About Protecting Your Marriage.
In Dave’s words, “Over time, spouses become needy and they often refuse to talk about it, or they might talk about it and their spouse isn’t interested in hearing it… Somebody comes along and pays them extra attention, and the attentions of another individual are mood-altering experiences.”
Dave and Susie unpack different aspects of the discussion about infidelity, including:
- The dangerous partner profile
- How to spot the vulnerable places in your own heart
- Understanding your “internal age” and how that affects the person who would tempt you
- The keys to an affair-proof marriage – adolescent sexuality, adult mobility and childhood magic. Dave explains. “A good marriage knows how to turn on infatuated feelings for each other. The infatuation you had for your spouse is still in your brain. Every marriage knows how to re-trigger infatuation through memories. Meet each other at odd places at odd times of day! We say goodbye to our spouse in the morning after a hectic morning and we see each other again that night… it’s not newness that counts, it’s different-ness. Don’t go get a new spouse.”
- Pursuit patterns
- Why it’s important to spend money on your marriage and invest in that relationship
Click here for more ideas to cultivate intimacy and invest in your relationship.